Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Pleasantly Surprised!

A few weeks back, a girlfriend of mine blogged about her experiences cooking with spaghetti squash.  I am a huge pasta lover - so I became instantly fascinated with the idea of eating a vegetable that mimics my favorite carbohydrate! I decided to follow Meghan's instructions for cooking the squash, and just substitute it for the pasta in an easy favorite (& inexpensive) recipe of mine.  The results were unbelievable.  I honestly will sub pasta for this squash quite frequently in the future. 

Chicken Pesto "Pasta"

1 spaghetti squash
1/2 C pesto
1 pkg stir fry chicken
1 can of diced tomatoes
1 small can evaporated milk
Parmesan cheese

I cut the squash in half & placed it cut-side down on a greased baking sheet - baking it at 350 degrees for 45 minutes. Defrosted half a cup of pesto my mom had made a few weeks back on the side.  Sauteed one small package of chicken strips (seasoned lightly). Shredded the chicken strips & placed them along with the pesto into a sauce pot over low heat.  Added one can of diced tomatoes (I prefer the ones with basil), one small can of evaporated milk & let the sauce simmer.  Removed the squash from the oven & ran a fork through it creating spaghetti strands.  Added strands to the sauce, tossed with grated Parmesan cheese & serve!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...