Sunday, September 11, 2011

A day & cause near & dear to my heart still draws tears to my eyes.  I, like many Americans remember where I was, who I was with, & the initial thoughts racing through my mind as I heard the devastating news.  I was rushed to the principal's office by my history teacher to call home. The news had not yet released what airlines were overtaken by the terrorists.  My parents worked for USAirways.  I remember repeatedly praying for my Mom who was at work, & the many many people frantically trying to get out of harm's way. I recall vividly sitting in the school office to go home early, my father fearing myself or my sister would see images on the news & fear the fate of my mother. Images ingrained in my mind for a lifetime.  I have the utmost respect for the man who navigated our country through the most difficult & challenging time, when many look back & criticize him.  I will forever view the NYPD & FDNY as unsung heros. To those aboard Flight 93, we will never fail to remember just how courageous your actions were. To the men & women who willingly put themselves in harm's way to defend our freedom, this nation will be forever indebted to you.  A photo taken by my great-grandfather of the New York skyline permanently resides on my bureau & reminds me to remember & never forget. On this day, please say a prayer for the lives lost, the families effected, the servicemen & women still fighting, & that our children never endure a tragedy as devastating as this.  I urge you to give back, even in the smallest of ways.  If you would like to join in on the cause & discover more was to give back please visit facebook.com/911day or redcross.org/donate.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...